Work while you study in the UK

Working part-time can be a great way to help with living costs in the UK and also gain work experience in your field.

If you have a Tier 4 (general) or a Tier 4 (child) visa, you can work during your studies and holidays if you:

  • study at a government-funded higher education institution
  • following a short-term study program abroad at an institution of higher education abroad
  • are older than 16
  • taking a course at NQF level 6 (degree level) and above

However, there may be limits to the type of work you can do and your working hours. For more information, visit the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website.

You are not allowed to work if your passport sticker or ID card says ‘No Work’ or ‘Work Prohibited’ because you are in breach of your immigration requirements, which is against the law in the UK.

Work after you graduate

If you want to stay and work in the UK after your studies, you must first apply for a new visa or a visa extension.

The three most common work visas available to international students are Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur), Tier 2 (General) and Tier 5 (Temporary Worker). You can find out if you qualify for one of these visas – and how to apply – on the UK government’s website.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button